Thursday, April 13, 2006

From a recent game: white to move


Here is a position (top) from one of my recent games with me playing white. Too bad that I not only missed this chance but blundered with Bxf3??.



Nevertheless, I still managed to win this due to a blunder by black a few moves later exploiting a simple mate-in-3 pattern (2nd position). It seems that even tough doing tactics puzzles almost daily does not prevent me from making blunders, it still lets me recognize some opportunities every now and then.

5 Comments:

Blogger Trooper said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoying the blog. What program do you use to make your graphics?

I think black's mistake here was not playing Qxc4 after your Bxf3. Take the queen, and it's certainly game over.

4:52 PM  
Blogger sciurus said...

Trooper, your analysis is correct, I was really lucky :-) At the moment, I use a very primitive method to make the graphics. I use the chess database Scid for analyzing my games and the graphics are simple "screenshots" of the program. I also experimented a bit with LT-PGN-VIEWER which allows you to generate javascript-based webpages from your games. However, putting this on blogger.com would mean that I have to set up an external webserver which I avoided so far.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bxh7+ is best I think. (first picture of course)

11:49 AM  
Blogger sciurus said...

Bxh7+ would have been the choice indeed. I did not realize that the response ...Qxh7 would have resulted in the chance to mate with Rxe8#. But you probably noticed from our recent games on ChessWorld, that I tend to give pieces away - but may be I am just a really nice opponent :-)

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home