Monday, July 24, 2006

Mystery chess position IV: from a milestone game

The position on the right (white to move) is from a game I just won at ChessWorld. The game represents a personal milestone for two reasons: firstly, even after a computer analysis, I did not find any serious mistakes among my (white's) moves except for missing a tactical opportunity at the end of the game, but more about this later. Secondly, this is one of the games where I tried to carry out an attack plan as mentioned in an earlier post. To my surprise, it worked!

But back to the position on the right after black played 22. ... Qd7. White now has the chance to play a winning move. Hint: it was not the 23. e4 I played here. My plan was to double the heavy pieces on the f-file after 23. ... fxe4 24. fxe4. Fortunately, I did realize two moves later that there is a better opportunity than that. The complete game with the solution to this problem can be found here.

2 Comments:

Blogger pechesscast said...

Hello Sciurus !
Funny I just posted a podcast on using the Q&B mate pattern and I have another one ready post. It is closer to the position from your game (I am waiting to post due to website upload restrictions). Are you making a collection of these mating patterns? I'll add this one for my own collection : -)

PE's Chess Cast

2:38 AM  
Blogger sciurus said...

For now I don't have plans for a serious collection of mating patterns. I have far too less experience for that. I'll definitely take a look at your Q+B mate podcast - I already enjoyed the one on the bad bishops in endgames!

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home