Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Is burnout preventable?

Everything good can be overdone. If it is sports, solving crosswords, whatever comes in your mind that you were really passionate about for a while. Even work! The fact, that I am feeling burned out at work, something that I used to be very passionate about, is probably one of the reasons why I got into chess the first place. If something, anything, is overdone, the burnout syndrome hits hard and brings the excitement to a sudden stop.

Fortunately, I am still feeling enthusiastic about chess. I am even wondering if chess can become as addictive as gambling. Nevertheless, I am asking myself how to prevent a possible burnout. Loosing interest in chess, even temporarily, may negate all my efforts to improve - who knows what of the little board vision I acquired by now will be left after not playing for a month or two? Would it be advisable to restrict the time spend on chess to prevent burnout to occur as mentioned on Jeff Ashton's blog or is it simply unavoidable? What is the experience of the other players out there?

On a side note, the situation is not hopeless even when the burnout syndrome hits hard and a period of chess abstinence is needed: As Bruce Pandolfini wrote about getting back to chess "Once chess is in your blood, your mind and spirit will let you know when the vacation is up."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home