Friday, May 26, 2006

Why do people play chess?

I've been asking myself lately why people play chess. I am not talking about the few professional players who actually make a living with that. I am more wondering about the average player - most of them even paying for playing chess online or at the local chess club.

Just for fun. Playing chess "for fun" is something probably every amateur chess player agrees with - if it is not enjoyable and doesn't pay for the rent, why then would anyone do it? However, if playing "just for fun" would be the main motivation, why do so many people take chess so seriously?

To relieve stress. Chess is sometimes recommended to relieve stress and at the time I started to get into chess five months ago I believed that myself. I am not sure about this any more. Just looking at the training goals of many chess players and the desperation that overcomes myself when I realize that another day went by without giving me the opportunity to tackle dozens of chess tactics problems and analyze the positions of all my games at ChessWorld, I start doubting that chess relieves stress.

For distraction - a personal favorite. Playing chess requires both concentration an dedication, an unbeatable combination for getting unpleasant things out of the mind. A nice side effect is also that chess playing is supposed to improve the ability to concentrate. However, I start to doubt that, too. Lately I often catch myself at work thinking about some chess position. That is certainly not a great improvement of my ablity to concentrate on one subject.

It is addictive. Looking at my own chess habits and other people's chess blogs, I get the impression that playing chess can become quite addictive. If you are not sure about yourself, take the chess addiction test at chessville.com. Welcome to the not-so-anonymous chessaholics!

It allows to satisfy the killer instincts. Chess is considered to be an abstract wargame. It practically forces players to ruthlessly exploit the smallest weaknesses of the opponent.

Chess is good for your health. Now, honestly, who really plays chess to stay fit? Nevertheless, mental activity such as chess reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease by 75%, a sizable effect (the scary estimate that roughly 10% of the population above age 65 have Alzheimer's disease make all these repetitive chess tactics problems seem to be even more worthwhile).

Other reasons. Playing chess for blood is fortunately a the motivation of a minority, or are there vampires at your local chess club? There are many reasons to play chess, what are yours?

3 Comments:

Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Good stuff, and good to see you are still hacking away at tactics.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I play chess because its fun and I like the challenge... I do get stressed when I start losing though...

9:38 PM  
Anonymous buy nemdaa 10 mg online said...

nemdaa 10 mg is used to treat Alzheimer's disease. This drug helps to slow the progression of moderate to severe Alzheimer's by improving memory and thinking. memantine 10 mg works by blocking the chemical messenger involved in the transmission of nerve signals. The store is utilized to sell the best prescriptions at reasonable costs.

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home