Thursday, April 27, 2006

Blunder day - cheap pieces for all!

Sciurus proudly announces that yesterday's "Blunder Day" at ChessWorld was a great success! After leaving a few pieces en prise in the best spirit of hiding Easter eggs, the day culminated in giving a won game away in the great match chess blogger vs. chess reader. After building up a nice material advantage (see position), I decided to keep it simple; the basic idea was to win the game by forcing exchanges. But instead, I gave my honorable opponent the opportunity for a mate in three, which he promptly used (See the annotated game for the continuation).

Looking for some distraction to soothe my soul, I started browsing over the list of my favorite chess blogs and stumbled upon the artice - the topic? Of course blundering. Learning to avoid blunders is probably the most important thing for chess novices. Therefore, many chess blogs contain articles either ranting about last night's blunders or discussing cures. In fact, I vowed to get into the habit of a clear not too long ago. What happened to that? In short, my plan was to go over a short checklist, before making a move. In contrast to over the board play, having a checklist would be even legal in correspondence chess games. However, it is always so much more exciting to analyze what I can do to my opponents then to figure out how they can beat me. Conclusion: setting goals is not enough to improve. From time to time one has to look back and figure out what is going wrong. It is time to get back to the discarded checklist!

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nice annotations and nice graph!
(tough loss)

1:56 PM  
Blogger sciurus said...

Thanks! I actually got the idea of hosting annotated games at atspace.com from you.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh yeah? Good.
atspace.com was the result of some serious googling around looking for free webspace that was ad free because geocities was killing me.
I like it too.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

So there is "free" webhosting on the net? I was looking for free webhosts myself but i never managed to find one free of advertising. Pretty cool information. Thank's for sharing. I'll go and sign up right away. Finally no ads ;-)

Btw, can you just upload stuff through atspace? Like with GeoCities? Or do i have to use something like CuteFTP to upload stuff?

12:29 AM  
Blogger sciurus said...

Edwin: you can upload either through a web interface or with ftp. For reviews of this and other sites see free-webhosts.com

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About the graph... what exactly does it mean? It looks like it's directly related to the number of moves, but nothing else is labelled.

5:41 PM  
Blogger sciurus said...

Sorry, that definitely needs some improvement in form of a figure caption or so - my first try of putting a webpage together...
The graph shows the "score" computed by Crafty vs. the moves. A positive score means that white is leading. The numbers roughly correspond to units of one pawn. Example: After move 19 (directly before my blunder, Crafty's analysis puts me 9 pawns ahead. After that, it refused to give numbers because loosing the King is, well, "priceless" ;-)

6:05 PM  
Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

So how do you create the index.html page with atspace? With geocities it's easy for someone like me. I believe atspace is going to give me a hard time... I am not that knowledgable when it comes to creating websites and the likes. I was fortunate enough it had this easy upload function, just as geocities. I was hoping everything else worked the same as with geocities, but it don't. I uploaded the files neeeded to run the same chessviewer i use on geocities, but i cannot view the game pages i uploaded there. These are actual example games i had uploaded on geocities.

6:16 AM  
Blogger sciurus said...

Hi Edwin-
Personally, I use NVU to generate webpages. I use Linux but it is available for Windows and Macs, too. It comes for free and also includes tools to upload your pages to the server. For your games: It is hard to do some remote debugging without knowing the details. Feel free to send me an email to the account squirrelchess on the server gmail.com.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

Ah! I was afraid you were going to mention something like this (as in working with tools and stuff)... You know what, i will look into it sometime. But right now it is too little time and too much of a hastle. Right now i only got time to keep things as simple as possible, so i'll stick with geocities for a while. But thank's for the info you provided for me so far ;-)

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home